Wednesday, January 15, 2014

SPAGHETTI PIE

I have been inspired to cook dinners for my daughter because she is a full-time working mother.  I so remember being a mother and being overwhelmed with having to cook every night (and I wasn't even working).  I have seen my daughter also being so tired at the end of the day.  I have started helping by having meals prepared a couple of times a week and she has been so grateful for my help. 
So, now I am going to make a blog and keep track of what I am making so that I can possibly help others with this project.  

The next morning:  Spaghetti pie.  I love this recipe. It was wonderful. Will definitely make it again soon! 
SPAGHETTI PIE
Back
Next
Original recipe makes 6 servingsChange Servings
·        
1 (6 ounce) package spaghetti (I  made gluten free for us and linguine noodles for Heidi)
·        
2 tablespoons (butter) I use coconut oil
·        
1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
·        
2 eggs, beaten
·        
1 pound lean ground beef (I use 1/2 lb)
·        
1/2 cup chopped onion
·        
1/4 cup chopped green bell pepper (I didn't use)
·        
1 clove garlic, minced (I used garlic paste)
·        
1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes (I used 1/2 jar spaghetti sauce)
·        
1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
·        
1 teaspoon white sugar
·        
1 teaspoon dried oregano
·        
1 cup cottage cheese (loved this.  did not blend, as we like the curds)
·        
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
Directions
1.   Cook and drain spaghetti. Stir in margarine, parmesan cheese and eggs, while spaghetti is hot. Form spaghetti mixture into a crust in a buttered 10 inch pie plate.
2.   Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
3.   In a skillet cook the beef, onion, green pepper and garlic. Drain off the fat and stir in the undrained tomatoes, tomato paste, sugar and oregano. Heat through.
4.   Spread cottage cheese over the spaghetti crust then pour in the beef and tomato mixture.
5.   Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 20 minutes. Sprinkle mozzarella cheese over the top of the pie then bake for 5 minutes longer, until cheese melts.
ADVERTISEMENT
Reviews More Reviews
Most Helpful Positive Review
Sep 02, 2004
I made this for my coworkers, who all raved. I used ricotta cheese instead of cottage, and I think I liked it… —SHANLORAINE 
Most Helpful Critical Review
Aug 03, 2010
Sorry - but this was more bother than it was worth. Unless you are using up left overs this was nothing great… —Baking Nana 
403 Ratings
·          
·          
·          
·          
·          
Jan 10, 2008
YUM! This recipe ROCKS! I've been making a very similar version of this one for at least 30 years now. It's… —Renee Ridgeway 
Jan 18, 2006
I made this for dinner last night and it was great! Of course, I changed it a little. Instead of spaghetti noodles, I used angel… —tj1089 
Aug 03, 2010
I have been making this for years. Although, i mix all of the spaghetti with the sauce and pour 1/2 of spaghetti into… —Christina 
May 22, 2007
I love this recipe, but I am a low maintenance, jar of this, box of that type cook. I use pasta, sauce, eggs, ricotta, butter,… —Snowhwhite 
Jul 04, 2004
We loved this! I made a double recipe in a large Pyrex so we would have leftovers. I added a mixture… —CarsonMaciMommy 
Nov 16, 2008
DH was asking for the spaghetti pie I used to make when we were first married, and I couldn’t find my recipe. This… —bgirldeb 

Aug. 2, 2010
I have been making this for years. Although, i mix all of the spaghetti with the sauce and pour 1/2 of spaghetti into pan, add cheese mixture, then top with rest of spaghetti and then add cheese topping. Makes spaghetti not so dry..


May 22, 2007
·         I love this recipe, but I am a low maintenance, jar of this, box of that type cook. I use pasta, sauce, eggs, ricotta, butter, parmesan, mozzarella, and ground beef. I used three eggs. Be sure not to mix them too quickly with the hot pasta or they will scramble. After making that mistake once I learned to temper the eggs first with a little pasta at a time. The egg makes the pasta taste so hearty…yummy! My mom used to make this all the time in her big 13 x 9 glass pan…memories. Newest


Nov. 16, 2008
DH was asking for the spaghetti pie I used to make when we were first married, and I couldn’t find my recipe. This is the closest I could find, and really good! Better than what I used to make, according to my DH. I used lean ground turkey instead of the beef. I doubled the recipe and cooked in a 9x13 pan, because we wanted leftovers. I seasoned the turkey with a little seasoned salt while it was cooking with the garlic, onion and tomato to add flavor. I used store- brand jarred spaghetti sauce instead of the canned tomatoes & paste, and added 1/2 of a 4-ounce can of tomato sauce to spaghetti sauce while it was cooking, so it wouldn't be too dry. I also seasoned it with a little oregano and crushed red pepper. The only other thing I changed was to use 3 eggs instead of 4 (the doubled amount) in the noodle mixture, and I blended the cottage cheese in the blender so there weren't any large curds, because DH doesn't like cottage cheese. I also cooked it for about 30 minutes before adding the cheese. It may be because my oven doesn’t get hot enough, Overall, great recipe!

Jan. 28, 2011
Excellent flavor! As a second-generation Italian, I believe fervently in the virtues of ricotta in Italian dishes. After all, cottage cheese doesn't exist in Italy. Now, having made this with ricotta, as well as cottage cheese, I can assert that the cottage cheese makes for a better dish! We like the slight tang that's absent in ricotta, which is quite bland. After all, spaghetti pie isn't a genuine Italian dish - it's an American invention, so it's best not to apply preconceived notions to it. The one objection I had to overcome is that the cottage cheese isn't aesthetically pleasing. In the short baking time given, it can't melt enough to get rid of the curds. You know right away that cottage cheese was used when you cut it. For some, that might be off-putting. But that little problem can be overcome with one additional, simple step. Process the cottage cheese in the food processor for a minute before adding it to the recipe. This way, you'll get that intriguing, tasty result, and your plate won't be covered in unsightly curds. Additionally, I've made this as a meatless meal, as well, using only a chunky, homemade tomato sauce, and layered it with mushrooms and spinach. I used homemade spinach pasta for that one. Great presentation! Be sure to cook your spaghetti in salted water (or add some salt when you mix it with the eggs/butter/Parmesan) to avoid blandness. Fantastic any way you choose to serve it up. But give the pureed cottage cheese a try - you won't regret it!

http://images.media-allrecipes.com/ar/topnav/nopic50notext.png
Aug. 2, 2010
8
This recipe was in the cookbook that came with my microwave we bought when we first married nearly 30 years ago! So I first learned to make this using the microwave. Great idea if you don't want to heat up the kitchen. It had you prepare the "crust" and then pop that in the microwave on 50% heat for 10 minutes and then add the filling and cook for 10 minutes on high and then add the cheese on top and cook another minute. It was one of my husband's favorite dishes and I haven't made it in a long time. Just forgot about it.

http://images.media-allrecipes.com/ar/topnav/nopic50notext.png
Aug. 12, 2010
5
I've been making this for 20+ years, almost identical. For a quicker fix, you can use ready made sauce & just add the meat & spices. The only main difference is in presentation. I make this in a bundt cake pan. When you invert it you have a layer of sauce on the bottom, then you can pour the remaining sauce on top of the spaghetti ring. Makes a nice presentation on the table.
Mar. 28, 2010
4
Knew I was going to change this recipe a lot before I started...I took pieces from a few recipes. But this was a great base. I used whole wheat noodles and mixed with just the eggs and parm, to reduce some fat from the margarine. I also subed some sour cream for cottage cheese and it was really tasty. My pie pan wasn't big enough, so we used a square pyrex that worked really well. Made some focaccia bread from All Recipes to go with it, such a TASTY meal.

Sep. 9, 2012
2
My husband LOVES this! I usually use linguine or fettucine because I like the wider noodles. I use a jar of Ragu or Prego rather than the tomatoes & tomato paste. I sautee the onion and green pepper with hamburger and garlic and add a little bit of Italian Seasoning. I top the completed pie with a little more parmesan and a little mozzarella. Bake covered for 20 minutes. I then uncover and add more mozzarella and bake for 5 more minutes. Extra sauce is a must! I usually heat up some extra to put on top after baked as we like it saucy and moist. Excellent recipe!


No comments:

Post a Comment